» Cesis Castle » New castle » Cesis New Castle

Cesis New Castle
Cesis New Castle


Cesis Castle-Manor house or New castle was built in the 18th century by using the forepart of the Medieval castle walls and defense towers. It is a national architectural monument.

Present dimensions were obtained after the 1777th when the Castle Manor property was purchased by Count Karl Eberhard von Sievers.

Cesis New Castle is regarded as one of the first examples of eclectic architecture in Latvian Manors. Count Sievers’s family lived in New Castle until the First World War. In 1919th the building was taken over by Latvian army and until 1940 it was used as headquarters of 8th Daugavpils Infantry troops (Latvian Army) and also officers' club. After the Second World War it was used as an apartment building, but since 1949 New Castle holds Cesis History and Art Museum.

Currently Cesis New Castle is under restoration and renovation works (since 2007), after building will regain architectural shape of last decades of 18th Century and start of 19. Century, when the palace served as the Castle-Manor living house.